Student ambassadors are the lifeblood of your marketing, admissions and recruitment processes.
But their roles have evolved beyond open days and in-person tours.
In light of the recent Covid-19 pandemic, as well as Gen Z's digital-first expectations, developing their online responsibilities has never been more important.
In this blog, we offer a definition of the role of Student ambassadors, how they can develop their duties online, and the benefits of authentic user-generated content and peer-to-peer conversations.
Let's dive in.
What are Student ambassadors?
Student ambassadors are more than the face of your university. They provide enthusiasm, knowledge and passion for your institution and its courses. And they tell your best-fit students what your institution is really like. In addition to this, they engage with prospects to convert interest into applications.
A Student Ambassador is effective at influencing the emotional drivers behind student decision-making.
It's a concept that's been around for years. But, in recent times, institutions have been forced to transfer a majority of the role online.
In a recent survey, 46 percent of institutions admitted that very little of their recruitment was done online before Covid-19. Since the pandemic, 82 percent of their recruitment efforts are now digitally focused.
So, how can you successfully convert the Student Ambassador role online? And how can that benefit your institution?
How ambassadors reach potential students online
Developing your Student Ambassadors' role online can create an engaging digital experience.
They can reach prospects in a variety of ways:
- Take part in online chats. Prospects want communications via a medium they are familiar with. With the right platform, your ambassadors can chat with prospects across the globe. It's easier to continue the conversation online through a living communication channel, rather than rely on fleeting (often lost) in-person interactions.
- Conduct virtual tours. Student-led virtual tours deliver a unique perspective on student life. They can also create a 30 percent increase in physical visits to your campus if done correctly, which boosts the conversion rates for applications and enrollment.
- Get the word out. Creating engaging user-generated content is a lot easier online. Posting a range of multi-media content, across your channels, helps to communicate the true experience of your institution.
- Stay in touch. Checking in with students throughout the enrollment process is far simpler online. Ambassadors can talk through any issues or questions that arise, wherever they may be in the world.
Student Ambassadors offer something your marketing teams can't: their unique first-hand experience. This helps prospects with the decision-making process by giving them a real insight into what life as one of your students might be like - a crucial part of allowing them to make a confident and informed decision about their future.
Now, let's look at the benefits of a successful, digital Student Ambassador program.
The benefits of digital peer-to-peer support
Digital peer-to-peer support is great for your university or college and recruitment funnel alike.
Taking your Student Ambassador program online improves:
- Diversity and outreach. A more diverse Student Ambassador body increases representation of minority groups. The more diverse your ambassadors, the more prospects they'll be able to reach.
- Boost international recruitment. An online, scalable Student Ambassador platform tears down time zone barriers and can reach a wider range of prospects across the globe.
- Trust and confidence. Prospects view Student Ambassadors as peers. As such, they create a channel of trust and add a layer of authenticity to the admissions process.
- Discussions on climate change awareness, mental health, gender and race equality. It's important to engage with students on the causes that matter to them. After all, positive social encounters create the best impression and enable prospects to rank one institution as more forward-thinking than another.
Ultimately, with the right approach, your 'digital' Ambassadors can increase your engagements, conversions and applications.
Curate a unique experience
When it comes to student recruitment, your Student Ambassadors are priceless.
But institutions have evolved beyond deploying them in traditional events only.
With the right Experience Communication Management platform, you can bring your Ambassadors online and create powerful content and peer-to-peer conversations that reach prospects across the globe.
Keen to implement this in your institution? Get in touch with our team.